Thread: Ryzen 5 Onboard Graphics Resolution Capability? (Solved)

Beans

Ryzen 5 Onboard Graphics Resolution Capability? (Solved)

Hi, I recently rebuilt an older machine with an ASUS Prime B450M-A II AMD AM4 motherboard, 64G of RAM, 1 TB NVME M.2 drive, and a Ryzen 5 5600GT processor. I'm not a gamer; I'm running Ubuntu Studio 22.04, using the onboard graphics. My primary uses involve music editing, and I'm running a 28" LG monitor that maxes out at 1920 x 1080.

My question is, does the onboard graphics for this motherboard max out at this resolution with Ubuntu? I really could use enough resolution to display two or more windows at once. If I got a monitor with higher resolution, would the onboard graphics support it, or will I also need a graphics card? Any feedback is welcome, and thanks in advance.
    Last edited by wmichaelb2; 1 Week Ago at 12:55 PM. Reason: Mark Solved

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Ryzen 5 Onboard Graphics Resolution Capability?

@wmichelb2
    Don't know if this will help or not.
    Here is what the specs say about your MB graphics ....
    Integrated Graphics in the 2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors *
    1 x D-Sub
    1 x DVI-D
    1 x HDMI 2.0b
    *Graphics specifications may vary between CPU types.
    Here is what AMD says about Ryzen 5600GT graphics...
    Graphics Capabilities
    Graphics Model
    Radeon™ Graphics
    Graphics Core Count 7
    Graphics Frequency 1900 MHz
    I use a B450M with Ryzen 5600G with (general purpose) monitor, Acer R240HY res: 1920x1080
    When I go into Settings > Display, max setting is 1920 x 1080.
    I had mine connected to 29 inch monitor a few months ago, and I think one could use a higher resolution.

Here is what a search turned up
    The AMD Ryzen 5 5600GT is a desktop processor that features Radeon graphics cores so you can play games in 1080p without a dedicated graphics card. It has 6 cores and 12 threads, operating frequencies of up to 4.6 GHz, and 16 MB of L3 cache. The graphics cores are based on the Vega architecture and are clocked at a frequency of 1.9 GHz. The graphics cores share the system's main memory as graphics memory.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

The 5600G/T is fully supported by Linux. Whatever the hardware is capable of will work. So HDMI 2.0b means 3840 × 2160 @ 60Hz will work with appropriate cable.

Beans

Thanks, Yellow Pasque! That's what I needed to know.