Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What does automation mean, to Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What does automation mean, to Ubuntu?

Afterthought...

I use automation to make people's lives and jobs easier... That was the initial intent and premise of Artificial Intelligence (AI).

I started using rule-based AI models in the late 80's, early 90's. It was originally developed as a tool to help people make decisions, by letting them see difference possible outcomes based on changing circumstances.

Today's world, 50 some years later, then we start to get into the morality of what pushing that further might mean:
    "What is the implications and risks of when you use AI as a tool to help people make decisions, into something something that makes those decisions for them?"

Along that premise & concept, that is the why I am promoter of Linux, and the Linux Ecosystem. You still have the freedom of choice available to you. There are 100's of ways to do the same thing. Getting there might be a goal. But how I get there factors greatly in my path. It is "the journey" that matters...

You talked about Windows. At Win 3.0, that is when Microsoft started locking people away from making choices about settings, and what could be installed onto it. From then on, with each release, they made that harder. Now look at Win 11, and minimum system requirements. MAC OS started with that earlier, saying you needed to have their (own) new hardware if you wanted to use a current OS. VMware is very stringent on what they will let you install on.

Linux is a lot more open, flexible, and adaptable. You can make a lot of things "possible" for the masses. It just doesn't have the big $ marketing.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Consider the security of the operating system, that is defined by so much automation, or even more or less, if a million people use the Ubuntu operating system, and a million people have their technological lives defined by it's underlying automation, does that leave them with a secure future?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You have indicated that you are aware that automation is built in to Ubuntu (as it is with any other Linux-based OS.)

You have begun to answer your own nebulous question.

Continue.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Consider the security of the operating system, that is defined by so much automation, or even more or less, if a million people use the Ubuntu operating system, and a million people have their technological lives defined by it's underlying automation, does that leave them with a secure future?
    I'll give you an example.

In most Ubuntu operating systems, the configuration of the active kernel is present in the /boot partition, and it is a product of automation. Also, the whole line of processes' that produce the kernel, in most Ubuntu operating systems, is also a product of automation, and that has characteristics which are public information, that is to say, globally.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Do go on.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Security is not a magic pill, or a automation process solely, it is a constantly learned behavior on the users end.

Linux is inherently secure OTB.

Linux is a powerful operating system widely used in the cybersecurity industry. One of the most important aspects of Linux system administration is creating and managing user accounts.

There is much to learn in your topic, but until you give in and make peace with others here in the forums, I'm afraid you will continue to bump heads....No fun for you and other members sincerely trying to help.

I wish you well in your journey.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

When I wonder to myself, why so few people use gnu/linux or Ubuntu rather, with the benefit of experience, it's small wonder. The users of Ubuntu aren't an island to themselves, but part of a global community, of which technology naturally interconnects people and organizations, which influence each other. So, despite our idealism that Ubuntu is a good operating system, or secure, the evidence stands to demonstrate that an alternate reality is a more appropriate reflection of the truth. If it was actually secure, there would be more people using it, and using it successfully, but they are unable to, and for reasons that go unreported.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Who uses Ubuntu, any other Linux system, or Unix, the BSDs, Apple OSes, etc., is based on preference. Those who continue to use Windows do so out of familiarity, compatibility with its ubiquity on the desktop, and the fact that most people erroneously conflate "Windows" with "Computer". Those users who use 'Nix OSes often choose them because of their security. Most of the internet backbone runs on Linux.

Now, back to the subject of automation.

Please continue.
    Last edited by QIII; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:31 PM.

Beans

The Microsoft Windows Based PC, that Ubuntu revolves around, is also a product of automation. In fact, every complaint about it's operations might be simplified into a criticism of automation itself as opposed to utility.

Both of these systems represent themselves in ways, that contradict the real world experience of their users, and you could ask any of them, or you could flatly contradict them on the forums repeatedly, deny everything, and compel them to leave. Hell, you can even just ban people who speak freely, and empower others to speak freely. That's what happens on a variety of mediums for the *Linux Community*

Anti speech? Anti freedom? Doesn't that describe a proprietary based system such as microsoft? How is it, that now, in 2024, it's a fitting characterization of the Ubuntu forums. and other parts of the *Linux Community*
    Last edited by hyperlinxe; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Again, Ubuntu does not revolve around a Windows PC. In fact, just prior to Windows' ascendance, they were called IBM PCs. And yes, when people are disruptive and obtuse, they often find themselves being removed.

Back to automation, please.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast