Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Convert AVI to DVD ISO

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Convert AVI to DVD ISO

goodness i simply posted it as a script i use modifie it yourself no use in complaining
    Ubuntu-4-Life

Affordable Webhosting

www.Global-Web.us

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by boutch55555 View Post
    This is dangerous... If the script is run from a main download folder, it will delete all avi files. I lost the 5 movies that were on my desktop. Please either change it to $1 or remove it completely. Nothing tells you that the user wants to delete the file after the transcoding...
    Please do not take this as negativity as I sincerely intend this constructively, however I feel it's important to note that the only thing that might be considered dangerous in regards to this post as I can comprehend is the use of the command rm without checking, then double checking, and then, just for extra fun, checking again unless you are certain that you're nuking something you intend to nuke.

We've all deleted needed (or at least wanted) files by mistake with rm at least once so I'm sure we can all relate to your frustration as you posted this. Kind of like running a stop sign on an unfamilar road by accident and then getting mad at someone that hits your car. Realistically you know it's completely your own fault and responsibility not the other driver. Plus you injured the drivers car.

I agree that keeping the original AVI, for my own personal usage, is more likely although I can think of scenarios where the goal may be to backup avi's to a DVD and clean disk space.

I really appreciate the original poster taking the time to submit this as well as the person that credited him by giving the link to this thread as the script is posted elsewhere now too.

Just as I appreciate the poster for script I'm certain that when you modify the script yourself using your own suggestions many others will appreciate your helpful input as well as others may also want to keep the original avi just like yourself.

I'm sure nobody expects you to say thank you to the poster for his effort under the circumstance. When I do something dumb I get extra mad when I realize I'm the source of my fsck-up.

I'm sure you will have people saying "thank you" for your work if you make the change yourself and post it if you need it function a bit differently. A bit more tacful than telling rfrayer what to do with his script that he shared with all.

I believe this is more in line with the spirit of this forum and the GPL as well.

Sorry for the diatribe - I got on a roll and was up all night doing a fresh install (or three). I tend to go on and on when that happens. Clearly.

Cheers

Phildarski

Beans

Hi

Ive been using devede and also dvd styler. Both do what they say but the end result is a jerky picture. The .avi I want to put on dvd plays smoothly on the computer. I'm assuming the software 'shrinks' the .avi and removes frames or something. Is there a way of NOT removing the frames? The .avi is just 700mb so a straight conversion without removing frames should fit nicely on a 4.7 Gb disk?

Any ideas all?

ant.

I'm using Dvdtivi lite under wine to convert Avi to DVD format, but i would like to another GUI under ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I use Mandvd and Devede, both work flawlessly for me when converting avi's to a dvd.iso and then burning with K3b. Honestly I use cli for many thing's but in this case both of those application's make it so easy for just basic/general converting.

Beans

In the time it took me to read the post i could of used DeVeDe to do the same thing

Nice post though
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12